Anyone using 3D printing? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #1
Dialedin
RCC Noob

I am: Colin D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6e
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Anyone using 3D printing?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Really considering buying myself a 3d printer for use on our farm but there are so many different ones! Is anyone using one to print airplane parts? What one are you using? Sell me on it!

Aeroscout S trainer
Dialedin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth iX12 Taranis X9D+
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 53
Re: Anyone using 3D printing?

I'm in the same boat. The only thing I picked up from a buddy who does a lot of it.....if you are OK with assembling you will save bundles with a kit. Like half price on some.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 17

I jumped in with both feet and bought a Lulzbot Taz6 about 2 years ago. Must confess I haven’t touched it for a good 6 months or more, but I did use it to print wheel covers. Fake exhausts and prop hub for my ill-fated 1/5 scale Wildcat. I plan to do more with it... just need to overcome inertia.

A 3D printer is an amazingly powerful tool. Really the only limits are your imagination and the ability to design your item in CAD (or find someone to do it for you). There are online resources like Thingiverse where other upload the CAD files they’ve created, to share with anyone who wants it. RC Scale Builders maintains a small but growing library as well, contributed to by site members.

You can spend a little or a lot. I probably went overboard, but wanted something that was essentially turnkey and could use different materials. The “default” material is PLA plastic. It’s easy to use but for our needs isn’t always suitable. Parts made from it can melt and warp if left too long in a hot car for example. I used ABS for my Wildcat parts; it’s more durable, has a higher melting point, and can be smoothed with acetone. When the plane crashed on the maiden flight, even the ABS prop hub survived although the airframe was a write off.

The machines from Creality seem popular with RC folks. There are a couple of ongoing threads over on RC Groups.
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

Bought a Creality Ender 3 Pro a few months ago. Fantastic machine and it is a bargain at 250$. Would recommend to anybody looking for a great, inexpensive entry level machine.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
f4u
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tom B
Radio of choice:
DX8 TT650
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 1

My son has one. Took a while to set it up and it works great. Wanted to get cowl for my GWS Tiger Moth. Cost from states was $30 for 2 pieces of thin plastic. Printed out 2 cowls in an hour and still have them. Great little machine.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

I have had a Prusa i3 Mk3 for about a year and a half. I printed some parts for Ramjet's big bipe and I've printed a handful of airframes from 3dlabprint and some from the 3dprinting forum on rcgroups.

Mine has been good to me. I've been printing the thin wall stuff since the beginning. Not sure if I just got lucky or if it's because I shelled out for a genuine Prusa. Like someone else said you can save some coin if you assemble it yourself and I enjoyed building it.

As long as you have realistic expectations and understand there are limitations you'll love it. It is like another hobby altogether.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 2

Got an ender 3 about 4 months ago - great machine - Almost plug and play...

I have used it a bunch to make parts for RC. I have been playing with different methods to make parts more like traditional construction than some of the mainstream 3D printing stuff for RC.

When I get a chance I will post some examples....

Its an awesome tool for scratch builders - the 3D CAD is a bit of a learning curve but once you master the basics it allows you to make a lot of intricate parts that are so hard to make the traditional ways...

Chris
Cat 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:47 AM   #8
Dialedin
RCC Noob

I am: Colin D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6e
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I took some cad modeling classes back in high school and ive kept up with that a bit so that portion doesnt really scare me. My main concern is getting one that turns out to be a little big/or too small than i need or one that is limited in what material to print in.

Aeroscout S trainer
Dialedin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 17

The printers themselves are often quite moddable (is that actually a word?). If you want to start small & inexpensive, you can get a pretty basic unit to try out and then upgrade as your needs grow. One of the neat things is, the printers themselves often contain a number of 3D printed parts, so you can even just print replacements and upgrade parts.
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth iX12 Taranis X9D+
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 53

I have trolling for info on and off for a bit. So hard to sort out legit reviews. Making upgrade parts as the first task seems common.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in