michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 11
Re: New To Me Cub!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There's a lot of information on the struts on Sig's 1/6 scale clipped wing Cub in the free downloadable Sig manual for this kit:

https://wanderings-ds.jimdofree.com/sig-rc-kits-21-40/

…. and scroll down to sigrc26 for this particular kit

The manual gives the approximate length for the struts (21.5") - exact length needs to be fine tuned to each model as well as noting several materials for constructed them, including spruce.

The length, btw, is the same as for the full length wing, 1/6 scale Sig cub (back out to the home page of this website and look for sigrc3).

In either manual there no warning to the effect that the struts are required for structural integrity of the model in flight …… do your own due diligence.

The plans for this model are available from Sig for $5.75 U.S. plus postage ….. but you might want to look to the free Outerzone plans resource and download the Chuck Hollinger (1955) or the Berkeley (1960) plan which Sig used outright initially for their 1/6 scale Cub and only later, with some changes, credited to an a Sig inhouse designer. (The Berkeley plan is kind of unique for that company, as the plan was produced in France and all the annotations are in French.)

I would make at least one end of each strut adjustable, for example with a clevis on a threaded wire embedded in the end of the strut.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #22
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 10

Thank you Michael. I am currently in contact with someone about getting a set. The plans they have are the regular 1/6 scale Cub, but they also have the outlines for the 'clipped wing' on them. I had read about the Hollinger plans being used by Sig, but had not yet looked. So thank you for that advice as well. And the adjustable end on the strut. I do really like that idea, and it makes sence. All great help. Thanks again.

p.s. It will definately be getting struts, just not sure on whether I will use dowel or spruce yet. I personally cannot have a Cub without struts...
NEW222 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #23
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well, I am at the next, and hopefully last major part of my Cub repairs. The plane was originally powered by electrons, and I am converting it to nitro. When it was done originally, there are a couple of bigger holes in the firewall to mount the engine, and run the wiring. The previous holes will not interfere with the engine mount, but I want to put a new firewall on top of the original. The plans indicate the original was 1/8" plywood, and I have already made a new 1/8" plywood firewall I would like to glue on top of the original. I will be screwing them together to dry and keep them tight together. And when I mount my engine, I will be using screws and either nuts or blind nuts completely through both. Also, I will be using some thinned 5 minute epoxy to coat the entire firewall to fuelproof it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82033492_475955559962084_1527259279189344256_n.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1658577  

Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #24
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 30

The firewall in my Cub has multiple engine mount holes from past power plants. I glue hardwood dowels into the holes and sand flush, looks good too. Then I redrill.
MECA 4762
Remember to thank a farmer
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #25
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thank you Frank. I had done that once before, but on a small foamy. And here, I did think of it, but decided to just put on a new firewall over top as I was thinking them holes were a bit big. Next step is to put a thin coat of epoxy on it to fuel proof it. The 'X' that is marked on it may not be in the correct spot. Just that the original had it marked on it so I transfered it to the new one so I will have it if it is correct. Just waiting on getting a set of plans so I know where to mount the engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	82984048_2557682337786212_2029989105311416320_n.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1658661  
Old 01-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #26
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Ok. So before I keep muddling along on the Cub, I have what may be a silly question, yet again. Sig, on their website lists both the regular 1/6 scale Cub, and the 1/6 scale clipped wing Cub as having a 43 1/2" wingspan. Where is this measurement taken from? Is it from the front of the cowl to the rear edges of the rudder? Just asking as I measured mine from what just mentioned at just uneed 44", but my cowl was sticking out a tad. Anyways, the main reason I had asked is that tonight,,when holding the OS FS-48 to the nose, it will most definitely not fit the plane with the cowl. Even if I pulled the cowl much more forward, it will still not fit properly. What I am comparing this to is many of the other Cubs I see pictures of where the cylinder comes out the side of the cowl. I even tried an OS 40 two stroke and it too stuck out more than I had hoped. So, to me, the only way that I can think of using the four stroke, and even the two stroke, I would have to do so without the cowl. To chop it up to fit either engine would not make it look good at all. Or am I missing something here? Sorry I do not have any pictures at the moment, but will get a couple tomorrow. I do have an OS LA .25 and a LEO. 28 I will look at tomorrow just to see how they would fit, but they are at the bottom end of the recommended engines. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #27
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
Ok. So before I keep muddling along on the Cub, I have what may be a silly question, yet again. Sig, on their website lists both the regular 1/6 scale Cub, and the 1/6 scale clipped wing Cub as having a 43 1/2" wingspan. Where is this measurement taken from? Is it from the front of the cowl to the rear edges of the rudder? Just asking as I measured mine from what just mentioned at just uneed 44", but my cowl was sticking out a tad. .
I think you are referring to the length, not the wingspan?

From looking at the stock picture, the 2 stroke is right at the front of the cowl. Can you slide and attach the cowl forward a bit to compensate for the 2st or 4st? Won’t be scale but should still look pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8F312076-8457-427A-AE8B-0BDBB9C19562.png
Views:	24
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	1658687  

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf

Last edited by chuebner; 01-15-2020 at 09:29 AM.
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #28
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

D'oh. Yes, sorry, I did mean the length. Was tired and typing on my tablet in bed. I did a quick trial holding the engine and cowling beside the plane. I did not honestly look too well at the stock picture, and thought the picture was all of the full size Cub. It did look good, and now that I looked at the picture again, I can see that it is a two stroke engine in it. When I get back home today, I will do a better test fit and take some pictures. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #29
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I guess after seeing so many Cub models with the engine in the middle of the cowl like the original, I had just assumed they would all be like that.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #30
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Ok. So here is a picture where the engine will sit when mounted. Yes, I can move the cowl up some, but not only did it look funny (which is not the end of the world as this is no show plane), but there was a good bit of pressure on teh sides where it would have to be mounted. So, I have come up with another possible solution that I think may look cool and different. I was thinking of using a pop bottle and making a 'radial' style cowl. Once I get the engine mount (the one pictured is too short), and the engine mounted, I will attempt this. Should be both fun and interesting!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	82642422_629793631102947_7031515913488695296_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1658731  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in