30% Chipmunk - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #21
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237
Re: 30% Chipmunk

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Sure would.
No actually it won't , unless you can get by with 3" of wing tube in the outer wing sections , You could redesign the plane with a one piece wings but then you would have to remove the wheels with the wings , that's a real pain .

Last edited by RAMJET; 04-25-2019 at 12:00 PM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #22
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34
Re: Hostetler 30% Chipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
No actually it won't , unless you can get by with 3" of wing tube in the outer wing sections , You could redesign the plane with a one piece wings but then you would have to remove the wheels with the wings , that's a real pain .
40% aerobatic aircraft use long wing tubes. Don't see any reason why this build couldn't be modified for a long wing But that is your choice.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #23
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Does this plane not have two bends in the wing just outside the fuse? If yes that would make it a pain to put a one piece wing tube in there.
MAAC #20880
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #24
Dennis 9412
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Don't see any reason why this build couldn't be modified for a long wing But that is your choice.
How would you go about modifying this wing, Mike?

Regards,

Dennis
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #25
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

Wing tube goes straight thru the center wing and the outer wing, holes are cut in the ribs to achieve the diedral. rib 1 of outer wing the wing tube hole would in the center and then each rib after Rib 1 would be cut a little lower to achieve the dihedral. Scratched built this lysander from Brant plans I enlarged. Originally it had a one piece wing and modified it into a 3 piece wing using the method I described. You can see the center section is permanently mounted to the fuse with the wing tube hole. the left and right wing was then mounted onto the wing tube. There is only one wing tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00055.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	910.8 KB
ID:	1628045   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00053.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	818.5 KB
ID:	1628047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00096.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	921.6 KB
ID:	1628049  
Old 04-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #26
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Wing tube goes straight thru the center wing and the outer wing, holes are cut in the ribs to achieve the diedral. rib 1 of outer wing the wing tube hole would in the center and then each rib after Rib 1 would be cut a little lower to achieve the dihedral. Scratched built this lysander from Brant plans I enlarged. Originally it had a one piece wing and modified it into a 3 piece wing using the method I described. You can see the center section is permanently mounted to the fuse with the wing tube hole. the left and right wing was then mounted onto the wing tube. There is only one wing tube.

Now that is a beautiful plane!! Well done!!
MAAC #20880
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #27
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Yes Mike, I can't believe you don't see this . When you have enough Dihedral and the wing joints are 26" apart the tube comes out the bottom of the wing 3" into the panel. You got away with it because your wing joints can be close together so you can use a good amount of tube before the bend . I have tubes plenty long enough but they Simply won't work on this plane . When I did my scratch built 108" chipmunk I made the wing joints much closer so with the same amount of dihedral I could use a wing tube ,but I had to make the sacrifice of leaving the wheels on the wing sections .A plane this size with no wheels would be a real problem. I posted a picture of the wing center section, you can see with a 1 3/4" strip pushed as high as it could go would have the tube come out the bottom of the wing 3" into the panel . I put a little wood wedge to show in the picture the wing joint position . The system they use while odd seems to work well and I am sure is plenty strong ..The up side is you can't forget your wing tube LOL.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4018.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	1628069   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4019.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	1628071   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4020.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	1628073  

Last edited by RAMJET; 04-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #28
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

The only solution that I could see is to use a smaller tube and even that might be questionable. I have built 2 Hosteler kits, Decathlon and a Beaver. Both use the same wing mounting system as your chipmunk and if I had a Do-over I would convert to wing tube right from the beginning. Although the Hosteler system works ok there is a huge issue with it. We normally build during the winter when the air is very dry and the wood also. When summer comes which is humid except out in the prairies The blades will swell and seize in there sockets. It is a real bitch to get the wings off. The beaver which is the second one I built, I made the blades loose width wise to take into account any swelling. Also I sealed the blades and sockets with Finishing resin. This helped but it still was a issue. Also Carry a large putty knife in your field box to help separate the wing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Decathlon1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	1628083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1628085  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #29
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Here is a little trick I use when sheeting the wings , When you do the top sheeting the ribs have tabs to stand on to keep the wing in alignment , but when you flip them over to do the bottom the wing is still quite flexible and you will warp them when sheeting the bottoms if not careful . If when the wing is standing on it's alignment tabs you trace onto a couple of pieces of foam the shapes of the end ribs (Make sure the foam is square and standing on the table when you trace ) cut them out flip them over and you have a perfect cradle for keeping the wing straight when sheeting ..just knock off the foam legs so they don't get in the way when sheeting .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4021.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	1628087   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4022.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	1628089  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #30
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

[QUOTE=Mike Sebastien;3693777]The only solution that I could see is to use a smaller tube and even that might be questionable. I have built 2 Hosteler kits, Decathlon and a Beaver. Both use the same wing mounting system as your chipmunk and if I had a Do-over I would convert to wing tube right from the beginning. Although the Hosteler system works ok there is a huge issue with it. We normally build during the winter when the air is very dry and the wood also. When summer comes which is humid except out in the prairies The blades will swell and seize in there sockets. It is a real bitch to get the wings off. The beaver which is the second one I built, I made the blades loose width wise to take into account any swelling. Also I sealed the blades and sockets with Finishing resin. This helped but it still was a issue. Also Carry a large putty knife in your field box to help separate the wing.

Mike the side to side clearance is 1/16" so lots of clearance there . I've used wood to wood fits before , I found the best thing is a good cote of mold wax . will slide in and out like butter but it only works if you leave the wood raw ..

Last edited by RAMJET; 04-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in