Cashing in on Rare kits...? - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #51
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Cashing in on Rare kits...?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So one has to decide how bad they want it and look at each individual kit as to its condition.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #52
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
So one has to decide how bad they want it and look at each individual kit as to its condition.
Exactly , that's not always possible when dealing with online sellers so I find it best to assume that it's likely got some degree degradation or damage from handling or storage unless like you say you can see if first hand . In my experience Mint in box means very different things to most sellers . cheers ..
Old 01-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #53
Propworn
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
Exactly , that's not always possible when dealing with online sellers so I find it best to assume that it's likely got some degree degradation or damage from handling or storage unless like you say you can see if first hand . In my experience Mint in box means very different things to most sellers . cheers ..
Its not always possible when dealing with online manufacturers, dealers or retailers either. I have received damaged NEW goods that the manufacturer, dealer or retailer would not replace. Or they make it so difficult to submit a claim its not worth the effort.

I have had new in the box sealed and unopened arrive with a crushed wing even though there was no visible damage to the box.

A new sig kit with a missing package of hardware which was ok as I replace most hardware anyways.

Heck I can remember when kits were sheets of balsa with the parts inked on the wood and you had to cut it out yourself. My dad felt sorry for me and bought me a Dremel scroll saw. I still have and use it today. If you were missing something you purchased a bit of balsa and cut your own. Is this self reliance missing from the latest generation of modelers?

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 01-21-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:04 PM   #54
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

yeah not to many people making there own scratch 4 cycle engines and landing gear struts Like I still do . but I do remember when many did . Funny I must of had the same kit ,a Kadet with ink blotted parts , likely why I still build from scratch today ..
I thought about this(why no kids entering the hobby) for a while and to be honest I think the hobby has lost lots of interest from the youth because it has become a hobby for the older more experienced crowd . When I was a kid there was room for kids ,now the adults have completely taken over . To be honest as a kid I don't think I would have wanted to hang with a bunch of old guys either LOL. My kids are very busy but not often do they want to hang with the parents.. I remember being the only, kid on my block that could keep his cox spitfire in the air, we were all self taught and very proud of it . Today you go to a field , put in your place and shown by some guy that's been flying for years how much you have to learn . Hardly a feeling of accomplishment or exploration for a kid .. I will never forget starting that cox engine for the first time , I had no idea what would happen and was totally blown away when it ran . For the most that has pretty much been taken away form kids today .

Last edited by RAMJET; 01-21-2021 at 07:21 PM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #55
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

I was pretty much on my own as a kid - I was lucky to have met and taken under the wing if a 70's age gentleman who became my mentor, through my teen years until he passed away of cancer.

I also made friends with a group (informal, as there wasn't a club per say) of 20's ish to 30s age men - who helped me with engines, test flights etc.

I certainly didn't care they were WAY older than me. My father had zero interest in the hobby so I looked for any help I could get.

Not that easy in a small town of 7,000 and no hobby shop.

I built my fair share of print-wood kits as well. You certainly learn quickly, how to cut with the proper direction as not to split the wood sheet!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:03 PM   #56
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Interesting my friends and I just had each other but I'm sure if a older dude wanted to help we would have let him . That didn't stop us though we figured it out for our selves , three of us that I can remember . This was around 1970 . don't remember any adults helping out or hanging around . We even put a cox .049 boat in Black Creek behind my house in TO , got some blowback back for that one LOL. 1978 when I was old enough to drive myself I met older people in the hobby but they were so busy they were not much help ,just remember standing around the field for days on end waiting for someone to show , but experiences will differ . My point was no kid that even wanted to do this themselves could do it on there own today, it's now primarily an adult sport .. I remember going on my bike, buying balsa, candy and a .049 with fuel in the same store just up the road from my house . good old days .
Old 01-21-2021, 11:40 PM   #57
Propworn
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 264

Bancroft town of 2600 no hobby shop my introduction to airplanes came from an add in popular mechanics. Sell so many Chistmas Cards for this company and you could choose something from the catalog. One of the items was a rubber powered free flight covered with silkspan or jap tissue and dope. I remember the instructoins were pretty good geared to the first time builder. Lots of cutting sanding and fitting. Even instructions on making a dethermalizing fuse by making a super saturated solution of egual parts sugar and potasium nitrate and hanging strings in it. When dried one would light an inch and time it. The fuse was put inside the elastic band that held the elevator down when it burnrd to the elastic it would break and the elevator would pop up and it would stall to the ground. Later when I moved to Windsor and dicovered hobby shops I became involved with Jetex and control line. I've never lost my love of modeling but I am disappointed in the direction all this regulation is taking us.

One funny note was potasium nitrate also knwn as salt peter was available at the drug store by an adult. Mom wasnt to happy when she picked it up for me as she was sure the tongues would be wagging LOL. Thank goodness for relitives and family friends otherwise I would have been stuck with a ton of Christmas cards.

Last edited by Propworn; 01-21-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #58
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 14

For sure, the plastics in kits from I'd say the '60's and back is subject to degradation even without direct UV exposure. But you can tell when you handle it. I have a fair number of vintage kits, and regards wood in older model kits I agree that in this decade at least, it all comes down to its history with storage conditions. Give it all another 50 years and we'll check in again. I have some '40's and '50's kits in great shape. I will open my '39 Megow Cub sometime soon and see how that looks, maybe snap a photo or two.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #59
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 14

Yup, the local drug store in Alliston usually had a 5 or 10lb bag of saltpeter behind the counter and my dad or brother would go in and pick up a pound or two every now and then. Good fun. On May 24, 4-5 pounds of it plus typically sugar and charcoal would go into my brother's traditional finale volcano. Crunched up sparklers and iron filings were added for effect, it started with a wrapping paper tube progressing to a large tubful at the bottom. 5% solution in hot water for soaking cotton fuse for DT's.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #60
Trumpet
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mark Betuzzi
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX-10
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...d.php?t=606291
$$$???

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...d.php?t=606289
Trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in