Thoughts on a tray radio versus handheld - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 07-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 39
Re: Thoughts on a tray radio versus handheld

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Have to agree this is one that is so personally subjective that each will need to figure out what works best on their own. Watched a lot of vids from Europe and some of those slab setups look pretty unwieldy.

Not sure why so rare, but imagine similar. I too fly the "Pinch Method" and feel uncomfortable without the Tx hanging from a neck strap.

Over the years I have had the chance to fly a lot of different systems and some were more ergonomic and easy to use than others. Surprisingly one model Futaba felt like the sticks were too far centered to allow for easy reach. Others just felt unbalanced, but to be honest a lot of that was in the early days of 2.4 where the loss of the extended 72 antenna seemed not yet accounted for.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Sparrow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michel
Radio of choice:
Jeti

Total Props: 1

Like to thank all for the advise.

On an other note it seems that when it comes to radio's the field is shrinking fast! I found out from my local hobby shop that Futaba is not available due to the restructuring or closing of Great Planes, who was their distributor. Spektrum has discontinued their 18 and 20 channel radios. As we know JR is in the history books, so letís see what I will do...........
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth iX12 Taranis X9D+
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 53

iX20 is the new Spektrum offering. Late in the year maybe? Just showed up on FCC site.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #14
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 31

Not sure why your LHS is having issues with Futaba. I get the stuff no problem. Futaba USA opened up shop over a year ago to take over North American distribution.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

I went to pinching when flying helicopters and have never looked back. It just suits me better. Currently using a neck strap but would like to try a tray sometime.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #16
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 18

Finding a tray is tuff. The one I have is over 20 years old and haven't found one that I like or as versatile. The metal ones from thunderbolt are expensive and crap. Dubro tray is to bulky and doubt if they are availble. If you find one let us all know.
Mike Sebastien is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #17
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

I hear ya, I haven't found one yet that I like the look of just from the pictures. The one at Thunderbolt looks like it would be more convenient to leave it bolted on all the time which would be fine if I had the side by side, two transmitter case for my 18MZ as it will still go in attached, but I have the single case and would have to unbolt it all the time.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #18
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
JR XG11 / Mikado V Control

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

On an other note it seems that when it comes to radio's the field is shrinking fast! I found out from my local hobby shop that Futaba is not available due to the restructuring or closing of Great Planes, who was their distributor. Spektrum has discontinued their 18 and 20 channel radios. As we know JR is in the history books, so let’s see what I will do...........
Take a look around and you will see that JR did not go into the history books! As mentioned Futaba is far from gone also. It is just some dealers want to only buy from one big distributor so they are trying to sell you what they can get easily. There where changes with JR but they are far from gone and lots of new stuff coming out steadily. I just bought a new T44 for a friend from DeeForce and new receivers for myself from JTec.

https://www.deeforce.net/
http://www.jtecrc.com/index.htm

Last edited by Dennis Pedersen; 07-11-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Dennis Pedersen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #19
Phlier
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Phil S
Radio of choice:
DX 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Pedersen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

On an other note it seems that when it comes to radio's the field is shrinking fast! I found out from my local hobby shop that Futaba is not available due to the restructuring or closing of Great Planes, who was their distributor. Spektrum has discontinued their 18 and 20 channel radios. As we know JR is in the history books, so let’s see what I will do...........
Take a look around and you will see that JR did not go into the history books! As mentioned Futaba is far from gone also. It is just some dealers want to only buy from one big distributor so they are trying to sell you what they can get easily. There where changes with JR but they are far from gone and lots of new stuff coming out steadily. I just bought a new T44 for a friend from DeeForce and new receivers for myself from JTec.

https://www.deeforce.net/
http://www.jtecrc.com/index.htm
Off topic but, I don't know how you find all these awesome distibutor web sites Dennis?

Thanks for sharing them.
It's too bad that the more local brick and mortar stores seam to be not able to keep up with the times as regards to providing new products and ways to distribute without costing too much more.

As far as a tray radio, I have flown for a while now and have mostly used my thumbs. Recently I started to use the punch technique and found harder to get used too but would agree to my surprise that I do fly more precise. I dont think I would ever buy a tray radio since the conventional radio can do both. You can buy harnesses to fit a conventional radio that I think would work just as good.
Just my thoughts
Cheers
Phlier is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #20
Sparrow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michel
Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
Off topic but, I don't know how you find all these awesome distibutor web sites Dennis?

Thanks for sharing them.
It's too bad that the more local brick and mortar stores seam to be not able to keep up with the times as regards to providing new products and ways to distribute without costing too much more.

As far as a tray radio, I have flown for a while now and have mostly used my thumbs. Recently I started to use the punch technique and found harder to get used too but would agree to my surprise that I do fly more precise. I dont think I would ever buy a tray radio since the conventional radio can do both. You can buy harnesses to fit a conventional radio that I think would work just as good.
Just my thoughts
Cheers
Hello Dennis,

Thanks for the information I'll spent some time going over the sites.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in