Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
NEW222
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 3
Re: Planes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, you are off to a good start. Your pictures are very good and clear which helps others to help give you an idea of prices. Unfortunately, I am not one of them.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #12
Uglymule
RCC Apprentice

I am: Don L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Everything you have can be searched online with pricing and usually find out if it’s discontinued. Whatever you don’t want to keep post pics .
Old 07-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_f_gibson View Post
This looks like the most expensive electric motor I have thanks again for the help and advise I have already got and hope to get I have a lot
Of stuff to find out more about info values and such

I have two never used Astro Flight cobalt geared 05 motors - which I bought retail around 1990 just before I dropped out of active modeling for a couple of decades - so I can share tears with you when I estimate the current market value of this motor being between zero and $15 Canadian. See my earlier post in this thread where I bemoaned the financial bath of buying the brushed Astro motors over Cox .010 engines. A July, 1991 issue of RCMagazine has a couple of outfits selling the Astro for $114 and $128 U.S. That small Cox engine sold for $31 at the time; coxengines.ca is selling one of these discontinued/collector engines today for $199 U.S.; private sale price very likely still north of $100 U.S.

Brushed motors - note the two big black nobs on the rear of motor; they house carbon "brushes" that ride on a segmented copper commutator to provide a mechanical switching of polarity to drive the armature - lost the power to weight and efficiency battle to brushless motors that came along in the mid nineties and electric flight really took off in the early/mid 2000s decade when lithium polymer batteries (lipos) displaced nickel cadium (nicads) for a higher energy density battery, and offshore motors and lipos became cheap, compared to all US/European made stuff.

Still, you can use the beautifully made Astro Flight 05 geared in an Old Timer type model, one with a lot of wing area, long landing gear (to accommodate a large diameter prop) and a short nose moment where a heavy motor can be used achieve the proper center of gravity without adding more (useless) weight. Lipos can be used with brushed motors but a now legacy brushed electronic speed control (esc) must be used - still available from Hobbyking - unless you want to use a servo/on-off mechanical switch that we used in the early days of electric flight.

A typical, good Old Timer for this motor, would be a 66" wing span "standard" Buccaneer https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5444

Bob Boucher, the principal of Astro Flight, and Rob Sliff, slightly modified another Old Timer, to produce an Astro Flight kit of the Viking, a 62" wing span, 500square inch wing, for which the motor was designed..... with 17.5 ounces of motor, esc, and 800ma motor nicads the all up weight was still only 36, yielding a very respectable light wing loading of 10.3 ounces.
But......today, you could use something like a park 450 motor and a 30amp esc - both of which I bought new and shipped in a private buy last fall for $28 Canadian - along with 3cell, 850ma lipo - for a total weight only 6 ounces, for the same power output and flight duration, allowing you to use a bigger motor, a bigger battery for more power, more flight light and still achieve a lower wing loading.

Perhaps power boat modelers would be interested in the Astro Flight brushed motor, as weight would not be nearly so much an issue and I gather they do often used geared motors.

As one of the moderators here uses as a signature line, "I know there is money in aviation, I put it there".

Best wishes
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_f_gibson View Post
Ok here is a few engines that were easiest to get at right this moment I donít believe any of these have ran before I can tell what they are by the markings On them and the boxes but not sure what they would be valued at for resale I do believe the os max 91is probably the most expensive item I have out of everything I got by the sticker I see on the top of the box and the motors was sold separately from the muffler and fan turbine thing on the front of it

I have no hands on experience with either engine/engine ducted fan but using the search fields of this forum and rcgroups and my own general experience....

Someone on this forum in January, 2018 actually put a want ad for exact combination of OS .91 VR-DF/Dynamax fan and a matching tuned pipe, so who knows. Use the engine name in the forum search field to find the ad.

Otherwise, glow engines got left behind in power output and cost battle by brushless electric motors and by kerosene (?) driven turbines for power, so finding a buyer for the combined unit is iffy. (I have a couple of smaller displacement K&B 7.5cc ducted fan engines and a couple of legacy fan units)

The OS .91 VR-DF does have a current trading history over at rcgroups with the selling/buying price for a new/bench tested only engine being around $135 to $150 U.S. Probably the buyers for this engine are in the U.S. Perhaps being used in overweight/larger classic pattern planes, super hopped up Shrike delta models. At 26 ounces the OS .91 is a relatively light weight engine for the power it produces. In a July, 1991, RCMagazine, a store ad price for this engine was $283 U.S.

The OS .40 LA...Ö I would guess around $50 Canadian.
Like most OS engines, well mannered. On the down side, no ball bearings, "moderate only" power, good for a .40 sized trainer model.

You believe the engines are new, never run. If selling online, try to back up this as much as possible..... are the top of mounting lugs free of ANY marks, suggesting the engine was never even test mounted? Post a close up photo of exhaust port with the top half of piston clearly visible.

You might to post pictures/descriptions of the items on which you would like resale value estimates in their respective subcategories of the forum (eg. engines, planes, etc.) with SPECIFIC titles such as "OS .40 LA engine value?" so the posts don't "get lost" as time passes.

And you might want to tell us a bit more about yourself, especially your experience/intentions, if any, in being active in the hobby. This could help people in the comments they offer.

best wishes
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 29
$50 for the OS 40LA is about right. That's what I paid for a NIB one last year. As mentioned, it's an OK motor, hauls around my Super Sportster no problem, but definitely not as strong as the OS 46AXII I have for my Kougar.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in