Mattinthehat
RCC Apprentice

I am: Matt G
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Getting back into the hobby

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Flew RC for about 7 years before my kids came along. havnt picked up a transmitter now in 6 years. Am thinking of getting back into it. still have 3 of my planes and all my gear. My question is, in the last 7 years 2.4GHZ has become the frequency standard. is it still ok to use my 72mhz gear? I have a futaba 9CAP. and like at least 4 receivers. unsure if I should continue to use them.
Mattinthehat is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31
Re: Getting back into the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattinthehat View Post
Flew RC for about 7 years before my kids came along. havnt picked up a transmitter now in 6 years. Am thinking of getting back into it. still have 3 of my planes and all my gear. My question is, in the last 7 years 2.4GHZ has become the frequency standard. is it still ok to use my 72mhz gear? I have a futaba 9CAP. and like at least 4 receivers. unsure if I should continue to use them.
Some guys at my club still fly 72mhz, I don't see any issues as long as you are aware of frequency when flying with others.

All that said, when you're ready you can upgrade for very little money these days.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21

Futaba 9CAP still a very good radio. You can continue at most clubs with 72 mHz although most are converting to 2.4 nowadays.

You may also be aware that you can put a 2.4 GHz module in the 9 CAP and it works well. However you would need to get 2.4 receivers.

You will also need to replace or upgrade the Tx battery. There are Li Ion and Li Nanophosphate packs that can be used with the 9CAP and will give you much longer battery life per charge.

I still have my 9CAP converted to 2.4 with upgraded battery and use it principally indoors but it would work just as well for regular outdoor flying.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattinthehat View Post
Should be no problem , except I would replace all your batteries. Being RF module based you can easily upgrade the RF module to 2.4

Last edited by stegl; 12-01-2018 at 11:09 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I fly 72 Mhz on several of my planes. No problem as long as you have a narrow band 1992 or newer transmitter (Channel 10 to 50). The older wideband transmitters are not permitted anymore. However, your chances of having wideband is pretty slim since they disappeared in the mid-90's.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

Our experience with older computer radios is that when the battery on the circuit board fails, so does the transmitter. The 72MHZ transmitters that are non-computerized work for ever. Just keep a good main battery in them. 2.4 is an expensive conversion and they do not have the range of the 72MHZ transmitters. If you need receivers and crystals a lot of guys have a bunch stored away.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

Kip while I do agree 72 likely has greater range 2.4 still has far greater range then you will ever need . Like comparing 4 times what you need with 5 time what you need hardly a compromise . I would have to say range is a non issue with either unless you are messing with some budget brand ,but then you could have failures with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
Our experience with older computer radios is that when the battery on the circuit board fails, so does the transmitter. The 72MHZ transmitters that are non-computerized work for ever. Just keep a good main battery in them. 2.4 is an expensive conversion and they do not have the range of the 72MHZ transmitters. If you need receivers and crystals a lot of guys have a bunch stored away.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
sport_flying
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Sport Flying
Radio of choice:
JR/Spetrum

Total Props: 1

Check out your existing equipment & enjoy the flying
72 MHz equipment is still in use
Check with your local club for any rules governing 72MHz
72MHz Ok with MAAC
NiCd or NIMH batteries Ok
sport_flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
Mattinthehat
RCC Apprentice

I am: Matt G
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

good to know! will look into it!
Mattinthehat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

yeah If your club allows 72 I would just fly what you have for now , maybe start to collect some new 2.4 gear if you plan on staying in the hobby for a while . This way when you change over you won't be mixing and matching old and new gear . Most items will need to be upgraded to use 2.4 anyway . You can collect the parts slowly as you do the research and once you have a complete 2.4 setup do the swap . cheers Roger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in