Rod Kelln
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rod K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics, Taranis X9D+
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Re: QuikV6

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There are a few Quik V6s racing in the CPPRA 500 event where we use the Jett A426 engine and Nelson Q500 engines with no mini-pipe in the muffler so is de-tuned. The Quik V6s a fully competitive with the composite planes such as the Ninja.
A word of caution re the Quik V6 pertains to the metal 10-24 wing bolts as have seen them pull out of the wing hold down plates. Ensure that the hold down plates are well glued in the fuse, and after cutting the threads for the bolts, harden the threads with some CA and then re-tap the threads. Also, after tightening the bolts for flying, add a piece of tape over each bolt head to ensure they stay secure. As an option, can always discard the 10-24 metal bolts and use 1/4-20 nylon flat head machine screws.
Rod Kelln is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
David Ford
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dave F
Radio of choice:
Spectrum airtronics
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 3

For you folks that want Q 500 planes and are willing to build them, the plans for the Seeker Q 500 are available on the Dutch F3D page in PDF and DWG format.
Scott Hartman has a post on RC Universe called Build a wood Q500 fuselage that uses this plan. The seeker is very close to the QV6 in many ways and flies very well in the faster 426 class at about 150 mph. There is a link in that post to the Dutch F3D site.
This winter I built 3 planes using Seeker fuselage parts and QV6 dimensions for next season, I'm like Rick Paine, demolishing a QV6 at the US Nats last year so I only have one QV6 left. We will see if the new ones fly well.

Another option is an Intimidator from National Balsa. They offer a sheeted wing I believe and a kit for the fuselage. Their kit is really good quality, better than a QV6 in my eyes, but you need to do more work.

The last kit option is from Matney Models, the HuriKane he sells is similar to all these models and the fuselage is fiberglass so it saves some work.
All these planes are very close dimensionally so they should all fly the same or really close.

Too bad we were not closer together, we could get enought folks to hold a race!!!
David Ford is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
David Ford
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum airtronics

2019 update on the Q-V6. The ARF is still RIP. Rumors from the US Nats are that the designer Jim Allen is working on a lazer cut kit. Fuselage done but the wing production is still TBD.
Jim Allen won the 426 event ( the fast Quickees) using his Q-V6, so I guess it is still fast to say the least.
Rick Paine flew his new one and got 1 lap and was in a midair!! He claims it is almost repaired. ( he is a wizard at repairs).
My home made Q-V6 flies great, I finished middle of the pack in 424. This plane was a balsa fuselage and tail with a Q-V6 ARF wing. I still have an ARF flying and the home made one seems to fly a bit better. Not sure why. I will have to look into that.
One thing about the ARF, the firewall wood is a little soft, the mounting bolts seem to need tightening each day, the home made one does not. So if you have the ARF do what you can to firm that up. If you have a good way please share it, I am all ears!!!

Old 07-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #14
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

I’ve been too busy to assemble the arf... maybe before the winter.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #15
David Ford
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum airtronics

2020 During the pandemic I rebuilt a Viper 500 I had laying around. I got it in an engine deal a few years ago. These planes need a bunch of fixes to be reliable and the fixes are well documented. Once done, this plane flies really well at 424 speeds.
So if you have one lounging around like me, I suggest you get the QV7 fuselage kit from Jim Allen and put on the viper wing, Jim does this in his QV7 build post on RC groups. Very small changes to his kit are needed to fit the wing, he gives a fix for the torque rods which really works.
I fixed the original body and tail on mine and it took more time than a new fuselage build. Jim Allen's kit really is the best way to go. I will be doing that when the pandemic lifts.
If the viper wing is heavy like 600 + grams look at the wing tips, one of mine had really heavy wood and when replaced with a light tip I managed to get the model down very close to the 3 3/4 lb. weight minimum.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #16
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 14

Quote:
Man I wish I wasn’t in the middle of no where, when it came to the hobby. I’d love to try some racing.

Then what are you doing in Timmins?

Mind you I'm in southern Ontario and I wish I was in the Muskokas. Spent some time flying a Berkeley SeaCat on Lake Nosbonsing earlier this month. Very relaxing experience.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post

Then what are you doing in Timmins?

Mind you I'm in southern Ontario and I wish I was in the Muskokas. Spent some time flying a Berkeley SeaCat on Lake Nosbonsing earlier this month. Very relaxing experience.
I’ve lived my whole life in northern Ontario. Our family business is here. My wife has her office and work life here. Etc.

I’m not a city person.

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #18
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 14

Of course I get it.. I'm another city-phobic. You don't really want to be down here.

An hour north of Brampton is far too civilized for me, my wife knows I pine to move north. If I ever do there will be a sudden increase in the number of floaters in the fleet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in