JR 9303 Went Dead - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
maddog
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad M

Total Props: 7
Re: JR 9303 Went Dead

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a 9303 and have move to the 12x but I still use the 9303 , when I first got the 9303 I did not use it right away and was not a "JR" guy so all was new to me . I would turn on the TX and the screen would blink on and go out and looked to be dead , did the battery thing etc etc, then took the TX to Flite Craft in Kitchener , turn's out I had rolled the roller when turning it on and that turn off the screen which made it look like it was dead when I turned it on . It took them about 10 sec, to "fix it". I then went shopping! You may of did the same thing some how. The 9303 is a great radio and I few my 46% and 40% gasser and a few jets with mine . Hope you get it fix. maddog
maddog is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 59

That's the "Contrast" setting and may be the problem here, except it should be easy to check by turning it on again. The screen should show on the initial boot up?

Although too a Futaba fan, I like my 9303 much more than the 10X. However, had an issue last week that left me frustrated. I had a plane wipe on maiden due to reversed ailerons. I and others had confirmed the direction beforehand, but had been playing with settings on another craft just prior to switching over. Doubt one would affect the other, but never know.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 47

Wonder if it is that small lithium memory battery that could have died. Silver and the size of a quarter that is soldered to the circuit board but some may have a snap in holder.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #14
eduardo
RCC Contributor

I am: Eduardo Galiano

Total Props: 0

Gentlemen: I just heard back from Horizon Hobbies regarding my radio, very professional and curteous treatment all along. The technician I spoke to is named Steve Hancock, and he explained to me that what happened was a complete failure of the main battery, which causes two things a) the screen goes blank, and b) the CPU is deprogrammed. He explained that the 9303 does NOT have an on board lithium memory battery; let me repeat that for the experts here that suggested that that was the problem: according to technician Steve Hancock of Horizon Hobbies, the JR 9303 transmitter is NOT equipped with a lithium memory battery. In any case, they replaced the main battery for an upgraded new 2500 mAh (from 1500 mAh) Spectrum battery, reprogrammed the transmitter to factory default settings (uuuggghhh!!!), and bench and field tested the transmitter output. Total cost: C$ 113.00 including shipping back to Canada. Now one last question for everyone: when I go to rebind the transmitter to the receiver, can I leave the servos plugged into the receiver, or must I disconnect them? Thank you again for the advice, and hope my story may be of use to someone. By the way, I have not yet received the transmitter, but will report again when I do so. Thank you.

Last edited by eduardo; 06-08-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Add relevant information
eduardo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.

Total Props: 47

By no means an expert on JR radios but only suggested that it may be a dead lithium battery for memory . Not having the radio in front of me makes it difficult to make that distinction. Never heard of a radio loosing memory if the main battery pack goes dead and needing factory reprograming. On that basis does it need sending away to get reprogramming every time a battery goes dead or is removed ?..... doesn't quite add up .
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #16
eduardo
RCC Contributor

You raise interesting questions Len, and I thank you for the thoughtful input, but I simply don't have answers for you. Cheers.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #17
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Total Props: 12

In regards to your question about needing to un-plug your servos for re-binding, the short answer is no. BUT, make sure you either take the prop of any ESC propelled planes, and on gas or glow engines it may be wise to un-plug the throttle servo, just in case the servo was reversed (in the programming and it has funny limits to it's geometry).

I failed to do this on a 38% gas plane and had to re-do the throttle servo mount bracket.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #18
Cricklewood
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 4

When rebinding you need to make sure that the binding plug is in the correct spot and that there is somewhere to plug in the battery but it is not necessary to disconnect the servos.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #19
eduardo
RCC Contributor

Thank you Brent & Chris; points well taken. Now as a follow - up, let me ask this: I noticed that a 9.6 V 2500 mAh NiMH battery was put in my transmitter as per the invoice. Can I use my standard wall (wart) JR charger that originally came with the transmitter to charge it, or do I need some sort of fancy new charger? Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #20
Cricklewood
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 4

The wall charger should be fine. The voltage is the same as the battery they replaced.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in